Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm


Disclosures by business entities about government assistance

ARTICLE | November 18, 2021

Authored by RSM US LLP

The Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) recently issued Accounting Standards Update (ASU) 2021-10, Government Assistance (Topic 832): Disclosures by Business Entities about Government Assistance, which is intended to increase transparency in financial reporting by requiring business entities to disclose information about certain types of government assistance (e.g., forgivable loans, cash grants and grants of other assets) they receive. Currently, U.S. generally accepted accounting principles lack specific authoritative guidance regarding the recognition, measurement, presentation and disclosure of government assistance received by business entities.

The ASU requires business entities to make the following annual disclosures about transactions with a government that are accounted for by applying a grant or contribution accounting model by analogy to other accounting guidance such as a grant model within FASB Accounting Standards Codification Subtopic 958-605, Not-for-Profit Entities – Revenue Recognition, or International Accounting Standard 20, Accounting for Government Grants and Disclosure of Government Assistance:

  • Information about the nature of the transactions and the related accounting policy used to account for the transactions
  • The line items on the balance sheet and income statement that are affected by the transactions, and the amounts applicable to each financial statement line item
  • Significant terms and conditions of the transactions, including commitments and contingencies

ASU 2021-10 is effective for financial statements issued for annual periods beginning after December 15, 2021. Early application is permitted. An entity should apply the amendments either (a) prospectively to all transactions within the scope of the ASU that are reflected in financial statements at the date of initial application and new transactions that are entered into after the date of initial application or (b) retrospectively to those transactions.

Let's Talk!

Call us at (325) 677-6251 or fill out the form below and we'll contact you to discuss your specific situation.

  • Topic Name:
  • Should be Empty:

This article was written by RSM US LLP and originally appeared on Nov 18, 2021.
2022 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.

RSM US Alliance provides its members with access to resources of RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance member firms are separate and independent businesses and legal entities that are responsible for their own acts and omissions, and each is separate and independent from RSM US LLP. RSM US LLP is the U.S. member firm of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax, and consulting firms. Members of RSM US Alliance have access to RSM International resources through RSM US LLP but are not member firms of RSM International. Visit rsmus.com/about us for more information regarding RSM US LLP and RSM International. The RSM logo is used under license by RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance products and services are proprietary to RSM US LLP.

Condley and Company, LLP is a proud member of the RSM US Alliance, a premier affiliation of independent accounting and consulting firms in the United States. RSM US Alliance provides our firm with access to resources of RSM US LLP, the leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market. RSM US LLP is a licensed CPA firm and the U.S. member of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax and consulting firms with more than 43,000 people in over 120 countries.

Our membership in RSM US Alliance has elevated our capabilities in the marketplace, helping to differentiate our firm from the competition while allowing us to maintain our independence and entrepreneurial culture. We have access to a valuable peer network of like-sized firms as well as a broad range of tools, expertise and technical resources.

For more information on how Condley and Company can assist you, please call (325) 677-6251.

Share This